Suggest treatment for high blood sugar levels

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist

Posted on Wed, 25 Apr 2018 in Diabetes
Question: My blood sugar levels are not under control though I am taking the medications. Namely zoryl m1 (glimperide 1 mg & metformin 500 mg) 2 times a day.
Blood sugar levels are as below

Fasting 135mg/do &
PP 246 mg/DL
My weight is 82 kg
Please suggest me the alternate medication to bring down my sugar levels to normal
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions.

Detailed Answer:
hello,
I am Dr Mittal.
I will try to help you with this query.
First , you need to understand that the blood sugar is a balance between your food intake that increases sugars and mechanisms that reduce sugars like exercise and medicines.
So my first advice Is to control your diet and perform moderate physical exercises.

Second, you need to understand that your medicines should not be changed Based on just 1 set of readings.
You need to know that the sugars are persistently high.
Thereafter a medicine change should be sought.
So my second advice is to check sugars again.

Fourth, if after this your sugars remain high I would suggest increasing the doses eg zoryl m1 can be made zoryl m2 in morning. Alternativelyan added dose of metformin may help. Since excess medications can put one at risk of hypoglycaemia, it's better to raise the doses gradually.

Lastly , I will request you to contact your diabeticIan. Any medication change should be informed to your diabeticIan. Since they know other aspects of the case.

I have tried to make it as simple as possible.
Best of luck.
Dr Mittal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Saumya Mittal 8 hours later
Sir,
I would like to inform you that sugar levels are persistently high as I have checked the same 2-3 times in last 4 months. They fall somewhere in the same range as mentioned above
Kindly advise
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions

Detailed Answer:
hello.
thanks for your response.
if however you have read my entire response that I sent previously , I have already made my suggestions.
about-
1. dose change
2. diet change
3. exercise
4. meeting your diabetician.
Please have a look at it.
If any clarification is needed, please let me know.
Best of luck,
Dr Mittal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng