Suggest treatment for high BP and anxiety

Dr. Nishad BN

Posted on Tue, 10 Nov 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am 53 yrs old. I have never taken BP medicine. My BP average is 140 -160/80-86. I have problem of anxiety. Even when doctor measures BP, my pulse rate gets gigher and BPrises. However, I am comfortable when I myself measurefrom machine.Two days on hearing a news and pondering, BP shot to 190-200'87 -95. I was advised losar 50.
I am taking it since two days at night. I feel uncomfotable, drowsy and low in the first half og morning. Is it normal?
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Dosage should be readjusted.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. Drowsiness and dizziness can be due to too much lowering of blood pressure. Blood pressure should be recorded morning and evening. If there is too much lowering then dosage of you medication should be readjusted. Losar can be decreased to 25 mg. Have a follow up with your physician for this.

Hope this may help you. Let me know if anything not clear.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 2 days later
I forget to mention that i tend to do too much of thinking (brooding)while lying down or resting. I tend to measure pulse. Should I take 0.25 mg Alprax SOS.

My physician has advised to stop measuring BP as it leads to contemplating more.
So next BP measurement will be after six days.

Pl advise
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
In case of anxiety short term anxiolytics will be helpful.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

Thank you for your follow up.

In case of anxiety short course of anxiolytics like alprazolam (alprax) will be helpful. Your doctor told not to measure BP due to your anxiety. So follow your doctor. But in case you feel so weak or dizziness BP should be measured and report your doctor if it is so low.

You can also do breathing exercise for stress relaxation. Sit relaxed and take deep breaths.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.