Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for hereditary hair fall

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 2015 Questions
Hi i m 26 years old male and i have hair fall problem and i have a hereditary hair fall problem so please suggest me with the products which can be used
Posted Mon, 6 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to us. You seem to be having a pattern of hair loss known as male pattern baldness or androgenetic alopecia. To treat the same, we basically use following medicines in combination or alone oral medicines- finesteride or dutasteride, multivitamin, multimineral supplements in combination with antiandrogenic supplements like saw palmetto etc Topical- minoxidil solution, capixyl gel. Out of all these only minoxdil and finesteride is approved by US FDA. If no response is seen with topical therapy alone then one may go with mesotherapy to instil drugs directly in scalp. If in case the baldness is in advanced stage, drugs as such do not work and hair transplant is needed. In initial stages, I personally prefer adding minoxdil 5% 1ml twice in a day application with a hair supplement like androanagen. The treatment should be continued for five to six months to assess response to treatment. I would appreciate, if you could attach an image of your scalp depicting pattern of hair loss, so that an appropriate treatment can be offered to you. Hope this helped. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for hereditary hair fall 4 hours later
Ok but like which product will you prefer which contains minoxdil with 5% in. I saw a product called Rogaine which is not available in Indian market but with same content i saw Tugaine(Cipla) and Mintop forte (Dr Reddy) so among these which will you prefer for me. bcoz i m at the initial stage of crown balding from top and hair r very think and the scalp is started getting visible.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 30 hours later
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing back. At initial stages, I prefer following medicines in my clients Tablet androanagen or follihair new, one tablet daily Minoxdil 5 percent 1 ml twice in a day. Bothth tugain and Mintop are equally good and hence one can use either of these. These drugs should atleast be used for three to four months and once response is there one may just continue with Minoxidil and stop oral medicines. Hope this answered your query. Should there be any other doubt please write back. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for hereditary hair fall 22 hours later
Does it works for hereditary baldness ??? And will it increase my hairfall if I stop using those products ?
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 19 hours later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. The medicines mentioned in my previous post work for androgenetic alopecia or hereditary baldness as you have mentioned. It would control the hair loss and initiate new hair growth. However as the cause for androgenetic aloepecia is mainly genetic and hormonal, so once therapy is stopped, hair may revert back to its normal stage in an year of stopping medicines. That is why, minoxdil needs to be used indefinitely to maintain hair growth. Hope this answered your query. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor