Suggest treatment for grey beard hair

Dermatologist
Question
Hello Sir,

Myself XXXXX. I am 27yrs old. Few of my beard strands (Approx 25-30) has become into white in color. Is there any cream/medicine to make my beard color to black??? Pls suggest me what to do. I am feeling sooo embarrassed with white color beard.

Awaiting for your suggestion with great anticipation.

XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Premature greying of hairs

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

I understand from your query that you are beginning to notice grey hairs in your beard and are concerned about it.

Greying of hairs either on the scalp or beard at a younger age is called as "Premature greying " of hairs.

Premature Greying is still a poorly understood entity. The causes suggested are genetic, vitamin deficiencies, stress etc.

There is no guaranteed treatment for this problem. However, there are few medications which could prevent future greying of hairs.

The treatment recommended is vitamin supplements with atleast 100 to 200 mg of a vitamin called as calcium pantothenate. You could take one tablet a day after meals for 3-4 months.

Now a new product has come in the market called Melitane which has peptide which stimulates the pigment producing cells of hair. Sufficient studies and experience is not yet available for it. You need to apply this twice a day on the skin of the affected areas and in the surrounding. This could help the colour to come back to a certain extent and also prevent future greying of hairs.

Hope this helps you.

If you have any more queries, I will be glad to answer.

Dr. Johny Chacko

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for grey beard hair 24 minutes later
Respected Dr.Jhony Chacko Sir,

I am very happy to receive immediate reply from my discussion posted for my problem.
I have two things to clarify from you.

1) I have gone through the reply in which you have mentioned that " vitamin
supplements with atleast 100 to 200 mg of a vitamin called as calcium
pantothenate". calcium pantothenate is a name of the tablets or what... If NO
pls let me know what the tablets name contains the above mentioned vitamin
content.
2) "Melitane" asked me to apply on the affected area twice a day. Melitane Is
itself the name of cream/ointment?

Sir How best i can get the results using this? I know this is not i should suppose to ask, but a much worried about the premature greying.

Pls address me for the above mentioned Points # 1 & 2.

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Premature greying of hair

Detailed Answer:

Greetings.

1) Calcium pantothenate in the dose of 50 mg is present in tablets like Follihair and Xtraglo. You could take it twice a day. 100 mg is present in tablets like Biotimik. Please get it prescribed by your doctor.

2)Melitane is the name of a solution containing the peptide.

As I mentioned before, premature greying is a difficult entity to treat. You can avoid further greying to certain extent by taking the above medications. It is difficult to tell you the percentage of response as it differs from person to person.

It is important that you follow up with a dermatologist who could monitor the response to the treatment.

If you are very much embarrassed by this problem, do consider hair colouring as an alternative.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Johny Chacko

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for grey beard hair 18 hours later
Respected Sir,

Good Afternoon.

With the above discussion, what i understood is MELITANE is not the NAME OF THE MEDICINE. It is a composition. Am i right sir?

Sir i am very grateful to you if you know me the precised name of the medicines in which contains the MELITANE. So that i start my medication from today itself.

Pls do needful.

Thanks & Regards,

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Premature greying

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX,

Melitane is the name of the medicine.

However, please consult a dermatologist to get the above medicines prescribed.

I hope you understand that online consultation is not a substitute for a direct examination. Your problem needs follow up and it is best that you consult a dermatologist.

Wishing you good health,

Dr. Johny Chacko