Suggest treatment for fungal infection in the groin folds

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
My husband just showed me red raw skin that appears to have tears in the skin. The skin is between his leg and torso and on both sides. Should this be treated with anti fungal or a drying agent?
Posted Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fungal Infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

He seems to have fungal infection in the groin folds, presenting as redness, raw skin.

If I was the treating doctor I would suggested loose fitting cotton undergarments.

I would also suggest a topical antifungal mixed with a topical steroid e.g cclotrimazole + beclomethasone cream, twice daily for 2 weeks, thereafter once the inflammation and redness subsides, you may switch over to plain antifungal e.g clotrimazole cream for another 2 weeks.

An Oral antifungal e.g fluconazole 150 mg once weekly for 4 weeks in addition to the topical antifungals, would bring about rapid relief.

An OTC antihistamine e.g cetrizine, would provide symptomatic relief from itching.

An antifungal dusting powder e.g clotrimazole dusting powder used regularly in the groin folds would prevent a recurrence.