Suggest treatment for footdrop problem post accident

Dr. Mukesh Chugh

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi,
i am XXXX and i am from XXXXXXX I had an accident two year back . I struck with my balcony glass door. Glass pieces penetrated into my left leg thigh.After that i am facing this footdrop problem. However Apollo hospital plastic surgen has done my sciatic nerve operation and said that within 1.5-2 year foot movement will be back. But it didn't work. Now doctor is suggestin for tandon transfer. Please suggest me the suitable treatment and related doctor also.
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tendon transfer is the solution

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query and understand your concern. The best time for any nerve repair to show any result is 6-9 month. In your case it has been more than 2 years. Now the option is to have tendon transfer. This surgery is performed by Orthopaedic/Plastic surgeon and requires a motivated post operative rehabilitation programme to follow.
Hope I was able to answer your query,

Follow up: Dr. Mukesh Chugh 22 hours later
As presently i can not lift my foot up but i can press my foot down.Is there any possibility that after tendon transfer( Successful or failure) my pressing movement can also stop.What are the success % ratio for tendon transfer process. Also please suggest some expert Orthopaedic/Plastic surgeon doctors names(In XXXXXXX bombay,delhi) who have expertise in tendon transfer process.
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As follows

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It's good to see you
I understand your concern, in the tendon transfer procedure there is limited transfer of muscle power so as to not to compromise the tendon original function. It has a good success rate of around 60-70% and at some centre it may be 80%.
I would recommend orthopaedic surgeon dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX at st. XXXXXXX hospital XXXXXXX

Wishing you good health

Follow up: Dr. Mukesh Chugh 53 minutes later
Hi ,

Thanks for reply.I am ok with success ratio.But as i asked earlier in failure cases also if there are no chances of loosing existing movement, then only i would like to go for tendon transfer process.Please guide me. Also if you have any expert doctor name from bombay also let me know. Thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As follows

Detailed Answer:
Hi
You will not lose the existing power even in not so good result. As with time remaining muscle (tendon) will grow (hypertrophy) to compensate the loss of power in response to exercises and daily activity.
I am sorry but I do not have any required Information regarding XXXXXXX
I wish I could be more help to you.