Suggest treatment for fluid in middle ear

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi it appears that I have fluid in my middle ear due to my eustachian tube acting up.. my doctor presribed prednisone I just started using it last night.. if that doesn't seem to work and all other options are exausted, can I go on an airplane with ear plugs? I really do not want to get surgery for risk of hearing damage

Posted Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Don't go for surgery

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have gone through your query; it suggests that you may be suffering from the secretory otitis media. For your kind information you are on right treatment but I want to add some more medicine in your prescription such as

1. Mucolytics i.e. acetyl cysteine 150 mg four times a day.
2. Happydent chew gum three times a day.
3. Autoinflation.

Just consult your doctor for better management before adding this.
I personally advised to avoid surgery and airplane travel. If your travel is unavoidable then go with special type of ear plug i.e. flight ear plugs.

Thanks