Suggest treatment for fluid in ears

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I'm still having fluid in my ears.. I used prednisone and I'm now using allegra, I tried every method to clear out my ears but to no avail.. I have had this issue since January... I heard a myringotomy might help but there is a possibility for hearing loss.. I fear that might happen... what can I do so as to preserve my hearing?

Answered by Dr. Deepashree 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
serous otitis media/ glue ear. myringotomy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your query.
If u are having fluid in the middle ear from 6 months, then I would suggest you to get myringotomy to drain the fluid out with grommet insertion done.
The hearing loss after myringotomy is less when compared to fluid persisting in the middle ear ( glue ear) for long periods.
I would suggest you to get impedance audiometry and eustachian tube function test done to detect the middle ear status.
Empirically you can continue with nasal spray and antihistamines until surgery.
Please do not delay.
Hope my answers have helped you.
Pleased to help you further. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Answered by
Dr. Deepashree

ENT Specialist

Practicing since :2004

Answered : 937 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Serous otitis

doctor1 MD

hi i need some advice and some support. i have some pressure in my ears and in my nose. my ears also constantly pop and crackle, the pressure goes...

doctor1 MD

Hello Doc. I have this aching pain on left side of head. Around my ear area. I thought i might hd a wax build up or trapped water. I went to my...

doctor1 MD

i had a cold with a sore throat after a week my ears plugged up , now they have most cleared but my left ear is hissing

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

151 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction