Suggest treatment for fluid in ears

ENT Specialist
Question
I'm still having fluid in my ears.. I used prednisone and I'm now using allegra, I tried every method to clear out my ears but to no avail.. I have had this issue since January... I heard a myringotomy might help but there is a possibility for hearing loss.. I fear that might happen... what can I do so as to preserve my hearing?

Posted Sun, 17 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Deepashree 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
serous otitis media/ glue ear. myringotomy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your query.
If u are having fluid in the middle ear from 6 months, then I would suggest you to get myringotomy to drain the fluid out with grommet insertion done.
The hearing loss after myringotomy is less when compared to fluid persisting in the middle ear ( glue ear) for long periods.
I would suggest you to get impedance audiometry and eustachian tube function test done to detect the middle ear status.
Empirically you can continue with nasal spray and antihistamines until surgery.
Please do not delay.
Hope my answers have helped you.
Pleased to help you further. Thanks.