Suggest treatment for fever and cough with blood

Question
I had a fever for 2 days with coughing. As the fever went away , I noticed a blood streakin my mucus. First it was bright red, then turned dark then now it is a small dot red. As small as a square thread count in a cloth. I went to the doctor the other day, he listened to my lungs and said it sounded ok and wait several days and let him know.from the first bloody mucus it's been 5 days now and since then I've experienced this once or twice a day at most.
Posted Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to get worried about at this time.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

Blood in sputum becomes concerning if it lasts for more than 2weeks. Acute cough with blood in it often represents common day to day pathologies and there is really no need to get too worried unless the volume of blood is huge and there are other concerning symptoms like breathing difficulties, high fevers, etc. The presence of blood is probably caused by a traumatized vessel during coughing efforts and would slowly reduce and stop.

In all, this is an acute finding and for now suggest no concerning pathology or poses a threat to life. With reassuring lung examination findings, there is no need to get worried.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.