Suggest treatment for facial sebaceous cysts on chin

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013

Dermatologist
Question
I have been suffering from facial sebaceous cysts predominently around the chin area I have tried all sorts of medication to no avail. What do you suggest
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly elaborate and send pictures

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for the facial sebaceous cysts. It is really bothersome for anyone to find anything unusual on face.

To help you best in your condition I request to kindly tell me following:

- Since how long you have these sebaceous cysts.

- Was these diagnosed by a dermatologist or a doctor as sebaceous cysts.

- Have you felt any itching or burning or pain in the area.

- Has these increased in number and size after its appearance.

I request you to kindly upload few good resolution pictures of your affected area so that I can analyze it better. Kindly send good resolution pictures focusing the area of concern which can be seen on higher magnification. For uploading the pictures you have a facility on the right side of the page or can send on:

YYYY@YYYY

with "attention:Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia"

Hope to hear soon from your side.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD- Dermatology

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for facial sebaceous cysts on chin 1 hour later
Response to your reply and questions
I have has this problem for the past 7 years getting progressively worse
Diagnosed by my G/P
There is no pain or itching
I have been naughty and I often squeeze when I know I shouldn't and they seem to have tracks. At times I have pieced them with a scaple blade and a mile of cheesey like substance releases and at times when I have obviously pieced the sack a very hard core ejects however these just continue to fill

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Surgical excision / radio- frequency ablation.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome again and thanks for sending the important details.

After getting the necessary informations let me provide certain important suggestions regarding your sebaceous cysts:

- Sebaceous cysts are not just simple proliferation of the oil glands but are rather collection of cheesy material along with wall around it. Till the time the wall is no excised completely it has a tendency to refill again and again.

- There is no medications which can dissolve the wall and therefore cure the cysts. So do not unnecessarily waste your time and money in any medications.

- There are two modes of treatment :

- the one by surgical excision of individual cyst.

- the other by radio- frequency ablation.

Both of these are very simple methods and can be done as routine procedures within minutes. You can meet an experienced dermatologist for the same. Do not go for all the cysts together. Go one by one so that you can see the expertize of the treating doctor as well for your comfort.

Please do not try to be naughty with these cysts as can lead to secondary infection and therefore lot more complications.

I hope these informations will help you. Let me know if you have any further queries.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD- Dermatology