Suggest treatment for facial numbness and knee pain

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: It is now eleven weeks since first symptoms. Numbness in in a small area of face. face. Then a numbness in an are above left knee. Met neurologist. He said he thought it was viral. Brain Mri and Spine Mri clear. Spent period in hospital. Other symptoms included tingling, stabbing sensations, a feeling of crawling on skin, burning hands and feet, fatigue, small spasms, some mouth symptoms in left area also etc. I got a tonsil infection this week.
At times symptoms seem to be clearing but then return. I am concerned it is taking so long to clear up or is this normal? I have thought about second opinion or is this necessary?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A second opinion could only help.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for being on HealthcareMagic.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

It is true that symptoms you describe may be caused by viral infections that may affect the nervous system ( peripheral and central ).

In such cases, improvement takes time (even several months) to recover and since MRI of brain and spine was clear, you shouldn't worry much more than necessary.

However, it is better and necessary to get a correct diagnosis of the condition, in order to get a correct treatment.

In this case a second opinion seems right, and blood tests about infections should be carried out.

In my opinion, MRI of spine with contrast medium is also necessary to evaluate conditions such transverse myelitis, etc.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee