Suggest treatment for depression

Dr. K. V. Anand

Psychologist

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Relationship
Question: my girlfriend is so upset at me, i should have met her 20 month ago, but i got cancer and we didnt met, i ve got major depression, but i could deal with, im still in hospital, but she is acting hard with me, like she doesn't believe me, and all she says is she wish to die and and and. she have also loosed her job, but got another. i don't know what to do with her, im in critical condition and day by day she more hard... does she need any medic or something? seems like she depressed hard too.
Answered by Dr. K. V. Anand 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Emotional disturbance

Detailed Answer:
Dear Dd
Welcome to HCM
We understand your concerns
Thanks for asking this question.

I went through your details. I suggest you not to worry much. I can understand your feelings and emotions. You are aged 25 and due to that you could be more emotional to such issues.

I am overwhelmed to hear that you are able to deal with the major depression problems you have. Also it is heartening to know that you are dealing with your life threatening cancer problem enthusiastically. God bless you.

The provided details about your girl friend's behavior are not much and therefore not enough to come to a proper diagnosis. Still I shall try.

From the given description, I am to understand that she could more disappointed due to your illness. Depressed of course, but may not be depressed clinically. She could be emotionally attached to you and your present health condition could the fact behind her negative behavior.

She is behaving hard with you possibly because she want you to forget her, so that you could be peaceful. The situation she is in could be more complicated than what you are in. She has more to think and worry than you do.

She needs emotional support. An emotional support which only you can provide. Please be with her. Try to talk to her. Be indifferent to her. Whenever possible engage in jovial conversation. I understand your health condition. But to keep her emotional state balanced, you should talk to her more often. Psychiatric intervention may not be necessary for your girl friend at this stage. May be some psychological counseling should be good.

Please come with more of her behavior in your follow up query, so that I shall try for a proper diagnosis.

Thank you. Hope this answers our query. Available for further clarifications.
Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj