question-icon

Suggest treatment for cough and runny nose

Posted on Mon, 26 Sep 2016
Question: my kid is 5 months old and few days ago he was suffering from cough and running nose for which we consulted a doctor and now he is okay, but since last 3 to 4 days we are observing that he is urinating only 4 to 5 times in a day which is way to less as compared to week ago. we also giving him small amount of water few times a day but still the situation is same.

Is this okay ?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani (10 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Passing urine 6 hourly once is fine

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... any child who passes urine 6 hourly once is normal, that means in a period of 24 hours if a child passes urine 4 times then it should be fine.

Only thing is the quantity should be normal.

I feel your child is normal if the quantity of urine he is passing is appropriate.

Sometimes some medicines used for cough and cold can cause decreased urination. But this will settle in a few days.

Do not worry if the child is otherwise active and playful.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology