Suggest treatment for convergent squint

Ophthalmologist
Question
Dear Doctor
My son is 2 yrs old & in last 7~8 months he has developed convergent squint (left eye squints & when the right eye is deployed with atropin the right start squinting)we have treated him with atropin for 2 months.
He has -1.5 cylinderical power in both eyes but has not started wearing glasses as was not recommended.
Doctors are prescribing squint surgery.
Is this the only option or can it be corrected otherwide also
Posted Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Surgery is required if glasses fail to correct.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to health care magic.

I am Dr. Dadapeer K, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

It seems from the history that your 2 year old son is having convergent squint. This is called as esotropia.
The treatment depends on the type of esotropia. The convergent squint caused by refractive errors called as accommodative esotropia is corrected by correction of refractive error with appropriate glasses.

Esotropia seen in children called as infantile esotropia requires correction by squint surgery. However before squint surgery if any degree of ambylopia if present needs to be corrected.

Hence your doctor is right if he is having infantile esotropia with no ambylopia. In this case surgery is the right treatment.

Hence he requires evaluation by correction of the refractive error, and even after its correction squint is present it needs to be corrected by squint surgery.

Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
With regards

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for convergent squint 2 days later
Dear Dr

Request to suggest good surgeons for surgery in XXXXXXX

Also he has -1.5 cylindrical power in both eyes which means his eyes has a tendecy to diverge rather than converge, but the squint seen is convergent.Can this be explained?

Since the tendency is to diverge if we dont operate will the alignment compensate?

If we do the surgery is there a possibility of divergent squint because of -1.5 cylindrical power?

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Surgery will not cause divergent squint.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to health care magic.

Thank you for the follow up question.

After surgery for esotropia divergent squint will not occur, no need to worry.
Normally children with minus power have a tendency to develop divergent squint and those with plus power have tendency to develop convergent squint.
But this will occur with accommodative squint. In infantile esotropia this does not occur.

You can consult pediatric ophthalmology and squint department at Sankara Nethralaya for treatment of squint at XXXXXXX

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Thank you