Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Kid having squint eye. Advised to place apatch on eye. Will this be cured or need surgery or glasses for long term?

my baby is 6 months old and has had a squint in her right eye since birth. She also had a left squint, but that seems to have rectified. We took her to an opthalmic surgeon yesterday. The eyesight is the same on both eyes, but less fixation on the right. We were advised to place apatch on her left eye for 2 hours a day, with prob surgery in the future. She is a borderline case, that will not benefit from glasses. Will this correct itself, or will she need surgery/glasses longterm?
Asked On : Fri, 8 Jun 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  60
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
It seems from the history that your 6 months old baby is having squint and as you have told less fixation on the right.
The common type of squint in children is accommodative squint. The treatment of the condition is by refraction and correction of the refractive error and patching the abnormal eye to straighten the squinting eye.
Many cases do improve with the above mentioned treatment on which your baby is on as of now.
However few cases may require surgery to straighten the eyes if the above method fails to treat the condition.
Thank you
Answered: Wed, 21 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor