Suggest treatment for cold and cough in a child

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: sir my baby is having last one week cold &cuff so wt to do dr 6 months old baby
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Give combination of antiallergic/decongestant and bronchodilator

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

I can understand your concern.The most common cause of cough and cold in this age is some viral infection.It has been seen that allergy is commonly associated with the viral infection.The main aim of management is to relief the nasal congestion,to decrease the airway spasm(to decrease the cough) and to give an antiallergic.
Giving combination of antiallergic like chlorpheniramine with decongestant like phenylephrine (Timinic drop or maxtra drop)provides relief and helps in early recovery.
Adding some bronchodilator like salbutamol(Ambrodils-s) also helps.Antibiotic dose not have much role unless there is persistent fever/bacterial infection.So giving augmentin(antibiotic) alone won't help much.
Putting nasal saline drop in each nostril relieves the nasal obstruction.
All these are prescription medicine so please get it prescribed by a practitioner.
Observe the baby for any breathing difficulty,irritability,lethargy or decreased oral acceptance and if you notice any,consult your pediatrician immediately for evaluation and management accordingly.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more query.
Wishing for your baby's speedy recovery.