What causes cold and cough while breastfeeding?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Fri, 13 Apr 2018 in Child Health
Question: My baby had cold and cough from the big sister, he was 4kg and birth and at four months he was 9.6kg only breastfeeding. He refused to feed when the cold was serious but I made sure he was hydrated but using the string to feed him. The cold has subsided but he’s not feeding like he use to. Should I be worried
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue trying for feed, watch for urine output

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
I won't get overly worried if cold has improved, baby is otherwise active, there is no breathing difficulty and is passing urine well. He has gained adequate wait since birth and that indicates that the feeding was good.
Sometimes it may take time for the appetite to become normal after any illness.I hope within next 2-4 days he will start accepting
I suggest you to keep trying for frequent feeds and to observe for activity(if he is getting lethargic) or if urinary frequency has significantly reduced.
You can put nasal saline drop if there are signs of nasal obstruction.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Wishing for your child's good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 36 minutes later
He was on rhinathiol and also his urine has reduced. He is gradually feeding but not like he use to. Should I be worried about the reduce in urine as well. Also I am using the saline nasal drops.And also his urine color is not the same at always, I will send you a photo of this mornings urine.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please consult a pediatrician and urine test mat be needed

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for follow up

I have seen the image and there is some red spot in the diaper that can be blood.
I would like to know if that was the only episode when you found the red spot or it is frequent.
Blood in urine can be seen because of infection or trauma to the urinary tract.
Decrease in frequency/amount of urine can be because of infection in urine also.
I suggest you to consult a pediatrician for clinical evaluation and to assess for the need of urine test if needed.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T