• question-icon

Suggest treatment for arthritis in the back

Posted on Sat, 8 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have problems with my head jerking. Sometimes I throw my arms . I tthrow thing I have in my hands . I hit my self in the head or maybe the person setting beside me.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern. I wish you had provided some more information about whether any medication was tried for that issue. Also if any neurological consults or imaging tests were done.

Judging from only the information you provide it looks like myoclonic jerks are actually the case. To say they are due to anxiety a neurological physical exam and at times brain imaging to exclude other neurological causes is necessary, some blood tests for metabolic alterations as well.

If those have already been done and other causes excluded then anxiety may well be the cause. In that case treatment consists in a benzodiazepine like Clonazepam and if not effective an antiepileptic like levetiracetam, valproic acid or primidone. You should discuss their use with your doctor.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 5 hours later
I have pretty well had all the test you talked about. I have lots of pain from arthritus in my back. Could that be part of the problem. It seem's as if it is worse when I'm hurting? Other wise I assume it is just stress or anxiety. I'm on Levetiracetam. It seems to help.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the additional info.

The arthritis in the back shouldn't be a cause, not directly at least, even if there was some nerve root or spinal cord compression from arthritic changes they do not manifest in that manner and would not involve the head anyway. Indirectly chronic pain may contribute to stress and anxiety in an already prone individual, but no other relationship further than that.
If Levetiracetam is helping then it should be continued, it is one of the most used medications for that purpose with fewer side effects.

Let me know if I can further assist you.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 9 hours later
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You're welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Hope you feel better soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist