Suggest treatment for an infected injury during pregnancy

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
Hi doctor,

Attached is the pic of injury affected area. There is a covering of layer of skin over the nose pin. I can see puss inside. Please let me know whether the skin needs any kind of surgery or it will be fine after putting some ointment.
Fri, 25 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oral and topical antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern and I have viewed the image.
Definitely the area is infected. I would suggest a course of oral antibiotics e.g Amoxicillin with clavulanic acid, 625mg tab, thrice daily for a week.
Topically she may use mupirocin 2% cream, twice daily.
She may also take a painkiller e.g either tab. Ibuprofen or Diclofenac twice daily, for symptomatic relief from pain.
These are prescription medications.
Oncr the infection resolves the buried nose pin can be carefully extracted.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for an infected injury during pregnancy 2 hours later
One more thing, can she take the above medicine as she is 4 months pregnant?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
oral and topical antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Yes, these medications are safe in pregnancy.