• question-icon

Suggest treatment for a supracondylar humerus fracture

Posted on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 in Back Pain
Question: Sir, I had fall in while playing in a mall 2 years ago at humerus. Doctor called it as Supra Condylar humerus fracture. I am 42 years now. Surgery was done 2 years before. X-rays of pre-surgery, post-surgery and present are enclosed. I can extend and fold my right hand. For past ten months, I am doing regular workouts which include lunges, squats, burpees, knee push-ups, dips, elbow plank, mountain climbers, inch worms, jumping jacks, sit-ups, crunches, leg raises, punches etc. in 4 days a week for30 to 40 minutes. I do not feel any pain , rather these workouts did lot of good to me in reducing cholesterol level etc.
Sir, while doing knee push-ups, I can hear a 'tik' sound from elbow of my fractured right hand. Also I feel little pain while doing pushups. All other exercises are ok for me. I am worried about the sound and fear if any screws in plates are loose? Could you kindly advise if there is any cause of worry? Can I continue my workouts? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue with all your activities

Detailed Answer:
Hi , I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
I have gone through your details and all X rays.
The operation has been done well and all the fractures have healed.
In the latest X rays, I cannot see any broken or misplaced implants, so do not worry about any implant breakage. However since it is two years , Consult your surgeon about implant removal.
'Tik" like sound can sometimes be heard in case when some ligament / muscle passes over a bony prominence or in your case implant. If it is not painful- don't worry about it.
Thanx for the question. Please feel free to ask any other question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Gopal Goel 1 hour later
Sir, many thanks for the reply. I live in Nigeria and currently in XXXXXXX on 2 weeks holidays. The doctor in one of the localhospitals here told me that one screw seems to have slightly come out and this screw may be removed with local anestatia. He says this is visisble in latest x-ray. But he also told me this is not serious and if I am reluctant, there is no need to remove screw. Kindly request you to advise whether I need to remove the screw. As for the implant removal, doctor says it is not advisable since it is more complex and plates can be there life long.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No need at present

Detailed Answer:
Hi I think at present there is no need to remove any screw. Carry on just as it is.
Thanx
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon