Suggest treatment for UTI and feces in urine

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Sat, 19 Sep 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I had a UTI and been on CIPRO for 3 weeks.

I may have a colovasial fistula and am awaiting a CT Scan
I have fecal matter and gas in urine.

The CT scan and eventual surgery will be weeks (maybe more than a month) away.

What do I do when my antibiotics are done later this week?

Can I take more to prevent a new UTI -- I think i will get one fast as Fecal is entering the bladder.

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
With feces in urine, I will say take more!

Detailed Answer:

I am so sorry to hear about this UTI and the possible colo-vesical fistula. This must be a very challenging disease condition for you. I will say stay on antibiotics for as long as possible until this condition is rectified, With feces in urine, the risk of infection is huge if you are not on antibiotics. Also, drink as much water as possible. This way, it will help in cleansing the system through increased urine flow.

I hop ethos helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 21 minutes later
Thank you

I am quite scared about the operation - but I am still young. My largest fear is needles i guess.

my doctor seems to want to stop the antibiotics - and then give if a new uti forms - i think he is crazy to stop them as the uti pain is so bad and worse when poop or food bits are coming from the penis if infected.
I am thinking to put my foot down and demand i stay on them! What do you think - is it a risk? Maybe a low dose? I am on 500 2 a day now.
What would you recommend if I were your patient?

Also - regarding surgery -- does it hurt to get an IV - i see people have them in and dont seem to mind. I am scared of this the most - more so then being operated on.

Also I will likely have a catheter put in during the operation I read. Is it true and does that hurt once in place?

thanks

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See below!

Detailed Answer:

1. It would be cautionary that you remain on antibiotics. However, if he promises to monitor closely and get you back on if you develop UTI, then I will say it is not a bad plan. If you were my patient, I will get you on cotrimoxazole(bacterium) until we get this sorted.

2. IV and urinary catheters once in are very very less discomforting. Do not nurse fears about these as they are really not that bad.

3. At your age, most surgery do not constitute great risk.

I wish you well and let me know what you think.