Suggest remedy for gastric problem in an infant

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Wed, 9 Sep 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hi my baby is 15 days old can we give gripe water to him its seems like he is having gas generally he dont play once he had potty then only used to play n remain calm. He used to fart around 7 to 8 times in a day some time he relase some water or potty as welll. There is another drop from Himalaya bonssian can we give instead of gripe water. Which one is safe for 15 days old child.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Both Gripe water and Bonnisan are placebo

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

Both Gripe water and Bonnisan are placebo.Till now there is not a single research study which recommends any of these.As such there is no additional benefit of giving gripe water and Bonnisan. Gripe water contains alcohol and so I wont suggest it for your baby.You can give Bonnisan(A herbal product contains Dil oil,Golancha and Gooseberry) for your satisfaction.But I can not assure you whether it would help.

I would suggest you to follow these general measures

Keep the baby in upright position for some duration and burp him properly by gentle patting over the back.

If baby is breast fed;avoid beans,spices,cabbage,broccoli,garlic.milk,milk products,ice cream in mothers diet.These items are gas producing agent and may be responsible for gassy and fussy baby.

If baby is formula fed;check the dilution.Use bottle with small hole as baby may swallow more air during feed.

Passing stool 6-7 times a day and once in 2-3 days is normal in early life. Don't get overly worried if there is no abdominal distension,no vomiting,baby is accepting feeds well and active/playful.
Mild physiological variation in stool,sleep pattern,skin changes,behavior pattern(like fussy/crying) is normal in this age unless it is persistent.
I hope your baby is getting Vitamin D3 supplement as this should be given to all infants as per recommendation of XXXXXXX Academy of Pediatrics.

Please let me know if you have any doubt,I shall be glad to solve it out.
Wishing for your baby's good health.