Suggest remedy for frequent urge to have bowel movement

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I wake up about 4 hours after going to sleep and have to defecate a number of times which leaves me tired even if I succeed in getting back to sleep. What do you think is the cause? I don't have diarrhea though the stool is unformed by the second or third time in the bathroom.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Food allergy can be the case.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such symptom can be caused by food allergy or intolerance. Especially if you eat same thing every evening. It may be milky product for example.
Any bowels problems over the age of 50 should be checked with possible large intestine tumors. As such tumors do not give any specific symptom, every symptom is alarming at your age.
I suggest you to perform simple test. Try to miss your last meal before sleeping and see if this will help. If yes, food allergy tests should be done.

And you should have done colonoscopy for sure.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 hours later
So I should skip eating dinner? I usually eat at around 7 p.m. I know I'll be extremely hungry if I do this and that will also make it hard to sleep. Yesterday for dinner I had roasted dark meat chicken, candied sweet potatoes and niblets corn. I also had half a corn muffin. I did snack on nuts and sesame sticks at around 11 p.m. However I've been getting this most nights no matter what I eat. I've been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. Do you think that could be the reason? I think I've also had times when I woke up earlier than I wanted to even without the bathroom problem though it usually plays a big role. I had a colonoscopy twice in my life and am not due for another one for 2 years. My colon was fine.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hyperthyroidism can be the reason for sure.

Detailed Answer:
Hyperthyroidism can be the reason for sure. Intestines hyperactivity is known symptom of hyperthyroidism. You may try to skip dinner. Or at least eat something light like a toast with cheese for example.
If you have had the colonoscopy done, you are colon cancer safe.