Suggest remedy for dull ache and soreness on roof of mouth

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Cancer
Question: developed a "sore" area, roof of my mouth much like a sinus infection might cause except no infection- almost two years running- visual inspection shows little or no apparent inflammation
symptoms include sensitivity to hot/cold- a dull ache much like a toothache pulsing that encompasses the entire pallet to my ears/sinus- scale of 1 to 10 mostly a 2 but can peak higher.
always there. I've been to a good ENT Dr i trust and was cleared. Went to a neurologist and had an MRI- brain of a 40 yr old, no hard or soft pallet anomalies- thought it might be nerve related- take effexor- limited to no relief. Now the part that makes my Dr give me that it's all in your head look- i would wake up with my tongue pressed against the roof of my mouth, pretty much directly on the area (the boney ridge slightly off center of pallet) and during the day have noted my tongue "twist" 180 degrees and also press against the roof of my mouth- do this without realizing.
all blood work, physical measures say I am in better than average health- no major or minor problems-
Answered by Dr. Monish De 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Coud be stomatitis

Detailed Answer:
HI

The sore area in the roof of your mouth and your symptoms of sensitivity to hot and cold and dull ache encompassing the entire pallet indicate that you could be suffering from stomatitis

It has been caused by you waking with your tongue pressing against the roof of your mouth

It is not nerve pain as effexor xr is providing you no relief

I woud advise you to drink more water, avoid hot beverages and foods as well as salty, spicy, and citrus-based foods

I would also advise you to take tablet Tylenol 1000 mg three times daily after food for 5 days with your doctors advise

DR DE
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Monish De

Oncologist