Suggest remedy for choking on food, nausea and vomiting

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: Choking when eating, nausea, vomiting. Have to go to bed.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
there are some options for treatment

Detailed Answer:

first of all I suppose you meant Schatzki ring, right? This is a narrow area in the esophagus that prevents normal flow of the ingested material to the stomach. If this ring was adequately treated and the problem only originates from esophageal spasm then there are various treatment approaches which may help.

Of course you should talk about the treatment options with your gastroenterologist but I'll give you some options to consider or talk about.

- Smooth muscle relaxants like sildenafil may provide relief to some patients.
- Tricyclic antidepressants can be helpful particularly in patients with concomitant depression.
- Balloon dilatation may help some patients but recurrences are common.
- avoiding solid food and preferring 'mashed' food and soups may help at least temporarily to relieve the symptoms.

Your doctor should make sure that no other condition causes these symptoms like an esophagitis for example. Since you've had serious complications like dehydration, you'd better find out soon!

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!

Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Thank you for your answer. Esophagitis, I hope not. I have had Severe infections way in the past from operations. Once I nearly died and did not care if I did. I had horrific pain and nausea and could not walk by myself.
I do wonder if I have infection. The doctor dismissed my case, telling me the spasms would not kill me, and I would have to live with it.
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 9 minutes later
mistake
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
discuss with your doctor about treatment options

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome!

I'm sure your doctor has assessed your situation and knows what's going on. You've already mentioned the tests your doctor has ordered (endoscopy and barium X-ray). So the best thing you can do about it is to discuss the treatment options with your doctor, as I've presented them in my previous answer. The spasm won't kill you but it may make you suffer, so an attempt to treat the symptoms is worthwhile.

Kind Regards!