question-icon

Suggest recommended dosage of folic acid

Posted on Fri, 28 Feb 2014
Question: i am planning for a baby. pls provide name of folic acid tablet,dosage and what time i should take it?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha (41 minutes later)
Brief Answer: Folic acid before conception Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query According to the guidelines folic acid supplementation should be given three months prior to conception to prevent neural tube defects. We give 5mg of folic acid every morning after food daily until the end of first trimester. It popularly comes as Folinal or Folvite. I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me I wish you good health Regards
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha (3 minutes later)
can i have folic acid tablets during periods before conception?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha (5 hours later)
Brief Answer: Can be taken Detailed Answer: Hello You can take folic acid during periods. Periods is not a contraindication to consume folic acid. Please take it everyday of the month till the end of the first trimester Regards
Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist