What does this blood report indicate?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Fri, 8 Sep 2017 in Blood Disorders
Question: I did my blood test and my results are as follows , i'm worried can you please see if its normal
Neutrophils - 36.7 %
Lymphocytes percentage 55.3
Neutrophils Absolute count 2
Lymphocytes absolute count 3.01
Monocytes absolute count 0.14
Basophils absolute count 0.01
Mean corp Hemo Conc (MCHC) 29.8
Red cell distribution width - sd(RDW-SD) - 48.4
Platelet to large cell ratio - 16
Plateletcrit (PCT) - 0.17
I want to know what do these reports suggest
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Folate deficiency present. Otherwise ok.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I have gone through the attached report and do not find any gross abnormalities in terms of the blood counts. The deviations are within acceptable range. The WBC count is normal and needs no intervention.

The folate level is however lower and I would insist on taking Folvite 5 mg tablet once daily for at least a month.

I would need to ask the purpose of getting the tests done. I need to know the complaints which made you seek medical assistance.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 27 minutes later
Thank you Doctor , I did the tests as a routine checkup , i usually go for all the tests once every year .
So i should just take Folvite 5mg 1 tablet a day for a month right ?
Any specific timing to take the folic acid tab ?

Also i have just started taking Multivite gold multivatmin tablets is that fine ?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take Folvite for a couple of months.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

It is ok to go for a yearly checkup but in that case I would simply insist you to get your blood sugar and creatinine level checked. Nothing else. It is meaningless to get a battery of tests done.

Take Folvite 5mg 1 tablet a day in the morning for a couple of months.

Taking multivitamins is useless. Vitamins and minerals are required in microscopic amounts and can be procured from a standard diet. They are not stored and simply get flushed out with urine. Yes, definitely it is fine to flush down your money and make the pharma companies rich but rest assured that unless you have a specific deficiency it is not going to do any good to you.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 47 minutes later
Thank you doctor
Would only go for Blood sugar and Creatinine tests from now on

Regarding the multivitamin , I'm taking it as my diet is not good nutritionally because im staying away from home , Shouldn't be a problem right ?

Also i don't need take any calcium supplements if i start Rigorous weight training ?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Protein intake is more important for you

Detailed Answer:
Whatever you are eating should suffice. Multivitamins will not help. There can be no capsules for carbohydrates or proteins which are needed in bulk.
Calcium supplements are not mandatory for rigorous weight training but can be taken from time to time. A good protein intake needs to be ensured.