Suggest natural supplements to treat Parkinson's disease

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Sat, 14 Apr 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: Iam wondering if there is any recommended vitamins or supplements that are useful in having Parkinsons disease

None at the moment
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
None of proven benefit.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your curiosity regarding natural supplements which could help in managing Parkinson's.

If I am to base my answer in having scientific evidence proving the value of one supplement or the other I am afraid the answer is no, there is no proof of any vitamin or supplement affecting Parkinson's progression.

However there are several which have been discussed and are object of studies as possibly having a positive effect. Some examples would be Coenzyme Q10, vitamin E, fish oil, black and green tea. Until recently caffeine was among these examples but a recent study showed it had no benefit.
I repeat none of the supplements and vitamins I mentioned have definitive evidence. Perhaps future studies will show like with caffeine there is no benefit, hopefully one of them will demonstrate efficacy. Until then you can try them, but only informing your treating doctor and having real expectations, even if there is benefit it won't be game changing, we are speaking of somewhat reducing the progression rate, not of altering the course of the disease.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.