Suggest medication and food to be avoided before taking Cortisone shots

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have cortisone injections scheduled for tomorrow morning and they were scheduled last minute with an assistant. I have not had a chance to talk with my doctor so I don't know if I need to avoid any medications or food in preparation.

I have two bulging disks in my neck and some facet inflammation.
Fri, 1 Jun 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Avoid blood thinning medicines.

Detailed Answer:
Before the cortisone shots you need to avoid having any blood thinning medicines if you are taking any. The medicines for diabetes also need an adjustment as there may be a rise in blood glucose levels. You need to avoid taking any herbal supplements containing Ginseng or Ginkgo biloba.
Regarding the foods, you need to avoid having a hot and spicy food and avoid garlic and spices as these may aggravate gastric acidity. You can continue with other medications like anti hypertensives or multivitamins.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal