Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

165 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest appropriate specialist for treating depression and alcoholism

Answered by
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe


Practicing since :2014

Answered : 2243 Questions

Posted on Tue, 23 Oct 2018 in Mental Health
Question: My dear friend of 20 years has been suffering for years with isolation, depre aression, alcoholism, and is emotionally cold and not able to connect with anyone. He is 48 years old and is living in a prison of his own making. We are discussing this with his doctor but I am wondering what type of psychiatrist he should see? He says he is drinking to shut off his mind. He owns a successful restaurant but is unable to do the most simple things for himself.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:


Detailed Answer:


Generally speaking, antidepressants don't work when someone is actively drinking. Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant, which counteracts antidepressants.

I recommend he see a psychiatrist who is board-certified in addiction psychiatry to address this as a major problem.

Hope I have answered your query.

Take care

Dr Alexander H. Sheppe, Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on