Suggest an antibiotic in place of Macrodantin that does not cause pulmonary issues

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Wed, 22 Aug 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi. I have an uncomplicated bladder infection and the suggested antibiotic is macrodantin. I also have severe COPD (FEV1 30-35). Please also note that in October I was hospitalized with pneumonia and the heavy administration of antibiotics resulted in the development of C. Diff (now cured). I mention this because macrodantin is a narrow spectrum antibiotic which makes it ideal for reducing the risk of a recurrence of C. Diff. However, I believe that there are potentially serious pulmonary side effects. My question is would you suggest another antibiotic (Keflex for example) considering my already serious pulmonary issues? Thank you for your response.
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Levofloxacin can be used.

Detailed Answer:

Yes, I can understand your concern.

According to the history for urinary infections kinolones are a wide specter antibiotics which are considered a good choice in such infections. So I can recommend you one of them called Levofloxacin which is good for the infections of lungs too.

However you should discuss with your doctor for the above because he knows your clinical condition better. And this medicine available only on prescription.

Hope to have been helpful.

Dr. Jnikolla, Pulmonologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng