Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Suggest an alternative for Delacin and Ciproxin

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 2202 Questions
I am taking the ciproxin & Delacin C I thought it was helping but its five days now and my foot still feels like its on fire its hot to the touch I put ICE I have massaged it with Arnica there has to be something I can take by mouth as my veins are no good last time I had to have a central line put in the Dr who answered my Question is rambling on and my question has not been answered should I switch to a stronger medication like Linezolid 600 mgs q 12 hours
Posted Sun, 31 Aug 2014 in Veins and Arteries
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The dose of DALACIN has to be increased.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting in health care magic.

As per your medical history, you are taking DALACIN 300mg only twice daily.The dose should be between 1800 -2400mg daily depending on the severity.
I prescribe Antibiotic like DALACIN 600mg thrice daily .If the patient is admitted, I give in injection form.600mg injection has to be added to 100ml NS and will be given intravenously. I will also add

Linezolid tablet 600mg twice daily if the infection is severe.I have treated many patients with these combination with excellent results.

Apart from medicines, you should keep the affected limb elevated for most of the day. Please do no apply anything over the foot.

I also ask the patient to get an Ultrasound of the affected lower limb. If there is any collection, it can be removed by small incisions. Even edema will be reduced after small relaxing incisions.

Hope I answered your query.
If you have any queries, I will clarify further.
Nothing to worry.
It will come down.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest an alternative for Delacin and Ciproxin 5 hours later
I had cellulitis in this same right leg in 2010 my Mother was in a nursing home in XXXXXXX in 2009 I went to see her they has an epidemic of MRSA no one told me so before I had back surgery the Dr did a swab of my nose and I was positive he did my back surgery as scheduled but used a very strong antibiotic and I took Keflex for 10 days or more I was ok until in 2010 I was in the Hospital for two weeks on Vacomycin twice a day and home for four weeks I had to have a central line as my veins are shot from IV'S, i had a bad pain in my groin for a year or more but when I had back surgery again this April it went away but about two months ago its started to come back I guess the iv antibiotic that was given during the surgery and was on Keflex for 21 days the pain was gone but maybe it was out of my system in XXXXXXX because the pain in the groin returned I have it now I cant lift my leg up because it is too painful ,I did have a scan done here in Greece and they said its infection I got 12 pictures and a report the medication I am on right now is not taking the pain from my groin it looks like its helping a little bit but I have five more days and I am having very loose stool its not watery yet I am allergic to PCN and I also have Asthma and wonder if theree is another medicine I should switch to because of the Asthma & the PCN allergy
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Metronidazole has to be taken.

Detailed Answer:
DALACIN can cause loose stool.Please stop the drug and follow. You should take Metronidazole tablet .
Cellulitis is most commonly caused by gram positive bacteria.It can be MRSA or MSA commonly.If it is MRSA, you have to take vamcomycin. You can add Linezolid tablet also.
Pain in the groin is due to enlarged lymphnodes caused by lymphatic spread from the Cellulitis of the foot.Antibiotics and anti inflammatory tablets will help.Discuss about this your treating doctor.
These medicines has no relation to asthma or PCN allergy.
Wish you speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest an alternative for Delacin and Ciproxin 7 hours later
I went to the medical center here there are only three students and one Dr who has to look in a book they want me to go to the hospital fir IV antibiotics because I have pain in the shin bone they are afraid it my be osteomyelitis I don't like hospitals I worked in them half my life and they are scary places, I only want to know something that will take care of the cellulitis I don't want IV Vacomycin I don't not want to go in the hospital I can live with the loose stool if I have to please help me I will go to a private Dr to see what he has to say but I need some ideas to question him with please I have to go at 6 pm Greek time we are Seven hours ahead and it is now 1:25 here so I need your advice ASAP
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can take oral antibiotics.

Detailed Answer:
If you do not want admission, IV antibiotics , relaxing incisions;You can ask for oral antibiotics.
I prescribe oral Antibiotics like Faropenem ( oral meropenem ), DALACIN , Linezolid, Metronidazole (to prevent diarrhoea) and a Pre and Probiotic ( to prevent antibiotic associated diarrhoea) to my patients with similar complaints.
Keep your affected limb elevated.
Take absolute bed rest.
Pressure should not be applied on the affected limb.Even when you sit, limbs should be kept on a chair.
Nothing to worry.
Wish you speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a General Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor