Suffering from post operative lung infection. Not getting cured by medicine. Any advice?

Dr. Shashi Dangwal

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My father has been sufferring from post operative lung infection following a hernia operation for more than two weeks he has been put on the following medication:
1 INJ REMERGIN INJ (1 MILLION IU/VIAL)
2 INJ PANTOCID 40 MG INJ
3 INJ DERIPHYLLINE INJECTION
4 TAB DILZEM 30 MG
5 LESURIDE 25MG INJ
6 INJ LESURIDE 25 MG INJ
7 TAB NEOPRIDE MPS
8 CHEMI BIFILAC XXXXXXX
9 GEN FLOHALE .5MG RESPULES 2ML
10 TAB PRAZOPRESS XL 2.5
11 EASY BATH
12 D/SYRINGW 10CC
13 HEP LOCK 2 ML
14 INJ NORMAL SALINE 100ML (WOCKH)
15 GEN ECOFIX AIR IV SET
16 SYP DUPHALAC 100 ML
17 CAPS DULCOLAX SUPPOSITORY (ADULT) 10MG
18 TAB FOURTS B TAB

But there has been no improvement at all, Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 54 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

You have not described your father`s symptoms and other relevant test results. Are you sure the infection is still persisting or it`s mainly breathing difficulty that he is having.

Has he been a smoker in the past. If yes, the chances of his having COPD increase. As such, with advancing age people develop hypereactive airways and recovery especially after surgery takes long.

If infection is persisting, a sputum culture to know the organism and the antibiotic they are sensitive to can be done and then appropriate antibiotic can be started.

Nebulization will help in relaxing his airways and make breathing easy but if he is not tolerating it, the same medicine can be given as inhaler. I would recommend seroflo250 instead of flohale and it should be given through a device called spacer. He will be comfortable using it.

I hope he has been mobilized and not on complete bed rest. XXXXXXX breathing exercises and chest physiotherapy will also help.

All the best. If you have any more queries, pl feel free to ask.