Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Suffering from huntington's chorea. Will it be cured by stemcell therapy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1986
Answered : 212 Questions
My nephew 21 years old is suffering from Huntingtons chorea. Is stemcell therapy a cure for that. If so wherein India it can be done?
Posted Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Genetics
Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 3 hours later
Hello. I'm Dr. Christensen.
I'm sorry your niece is having problems. (I noticed you listed the patient's gender as female, and the attached lab report pertained to a female as well.) As of this date, there is no cure for Huntington's disease (HD). To my knowledge, stem cells aren't being used anywhere in the world for treating HD in humans. Several exciting studies published earlier this year suggest that stem cells may one day be used for this purpose: a line of human stem cells that corrects the HD genetic defect has been developed, and this cell line has been used to restore normal movement in mice affected by a Huntington's-like condition. Unfortunately, though, it could be several years before this cell line is used to treat HD in humans.
Some of the more compelling research pertaining to this issue has been performed at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies in La Jolla, CA (USA), The Buck Institute for Research on Aging in Novato, CA (USA) and the Department of Anatomy, Histology & Embryology at Shanghai Medical College, Fudan University (China).
I hope that answers your question, and I hope your niece does well. I'll be available if you have additional concerns.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Genetics Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor