Suffering from e-beta thalaseemia with low HB level. Safe to go for stem cell transplantation?

Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2013 in Blood Disorders
Question: Sir, my son has been suffering from e-beta thalaseemia,now he is one year old,His HB remains between 6.5-7.5,and last month his hb remains 5.4 and doctor ask me blood transfused.sir want stem cell transplant.its prossibal .his body wight 7.400kg.he taking folbite tablet .
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question regarding your child is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

This type of thalassemia can have a wide range of clinical presentationas well as symptoms. The hemoglobin can range from just mildly decreased to a level which is transfusion dependent.

With a hemoglobin as low as you have described in your child I think a transplant evaluation would be an excellent consideration.

Transfusion is necessary however to maintain an adequate hemoglobin level.

Regarding the timing of transfusion you will need to discuss this with a pediatric transplant specialist. There has been published data regarding transplant for this condition and there have been some encouraging results.

I absolutely think a consultation with a transplant specialist would be indicated in this setting and you can ask your doctor to provide this referral.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any specific details you would like to review with me.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert

Follow up: Dr. Robert Galamaga 13 hours later
Sir.i will want stem cell transphalant.it was possible.how many old this treatment.Sir.my son e beta thalassemia.he is normal life like.plz help me
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 8 minutes later
Hello and thank you for your question.

Again I recommend that you seek a consultation with a transplant specialist who specializes in pediatric hematology. This type of specialist can tell you exactly when the right time for a transplant consideration will be.

If the transplant is not performed your child will be followed very closely with periodic transfusions if needed.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns that I can discuss specifically.

Dr Galamaga
Follow up: Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 minutes later
When the right time transplant.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 44 minutes later
Hello and thank you for your follow-up question. This is a question that can only be answered by a physician it sees your son in consultation and can provide you with the actual planning of a transplant. Any other suggestion of a transplant time Would be pure speculation. Please follow up with a specialist.

Thank you again.

Sincerely,

Dr Galamaga