Suffering from acne problem. Is it safe to go for fraxel laser treatment?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Acne
Question: Hi Doctor,

I have a strong acne problem with quiet big holes on my face from last 5 years I am having this problem due to strong pimples. Currently I am going under Fraxel laser to get rid of these marks and acnes.

Would like to know your view whether is it the right treatment for these problems. Is there any side effects in long run to laser treatments. Do I need to take any precaution ?

Thanks
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 55 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Fraxel is fractionated laser therapy which induces collagen production thus helping in acne scars. It has no role as such in treating active acne lesions.
If you are having active acne lesions, first those should be treated and then fraxel can be done to help treat scars.
Fraxel as such has very good response in acne scars. Sessions are usually done after 1 to 1.5 months gap and 3 to 4 sessions are good enough to show response.
If done in conjunction with dermarollers or acne surgery procedure like subscision, it yields even better response. But whether these are required in addition to lasers depends on the depth and severity of scars and can only be assessed by the treating dermatologist.
Fraxel also helps in reducing open pores, acne induced pigmentation, improves skin texture and laxity by inducing collagen production etc.

As such there is no side effect in long run with lasers.
After lasers, one should avoid sun exposure and apply sunscreen daily. Fraxel can lead to slight swelling, redness, itching or dryness for two to three days after procedure. This can be taken care of by applying moisturiser and steroid cream if required.
If not done properly sometimes fraxel can cause pigmentation or scarring, however such side effects are usually rare.
In nutshell, lasers are practically quite SAFE!
Hope that answers your query. Take care.