Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
142 Doctors are Online

Suffering from SVT for several years, having episodes of disability. What can be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
I have been suffering from SVT for several years, I have documented trips to the E.R. for atleast 14 visits in 3 years ... sometimes going twice in a period of 4 days. I have had to be taken 3 times by ambulance from my job over a 16 month period. I can go a few months without an episode but have had 3 episodes in as many days, on 2 occassions I have had 2 episodes in a 24 hour period. I am age 50 and was wondering if I should apply for disability.
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

You might need to consult the cardiologist first, especially a cardiologist specialized in cardiac rhythm abnormalities called the Rhythmologist. This is so because a proper evaluation, with proper ECG, doppler cardiac ultrasound and other electrophysiological tests could be useful to orient specific management protocols that would greatly improve your quality of life and reduce the number of times you need to visit the emergency room.

It should be difficult for a disability to be granted without actual proof that the existing evidence based therapeutic options have all be used and have failed. You will need to contact your cardiologist for detailed testing once again and follow up. IN case it fails, with his written report, it would be very easy and justified to apply for disability.

For now I suggest you XXXXXXX your cardiologist to exhaust all existing options first, for there still are many (especially when cardiologists - rhythmologists) are involved. It s only after this the he could then write a proper report which would back you during the application process.

Thanks a hope this helps. Do not hesitate asking further questions if need be.

Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor