Sudden onset of diplopia, dizziness and nausea. How to treat this?

Dr. Piyush Ostwal

Neurologist

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hey Doc!
2:25 today I experienced an immediate onset of binocular
diplopia met with dizziness and nausea. This has never
happened to me before. I am 37 with untreated HBP
apprently. I've been burning the candle at both ends for
2 months with work, not sleeping much. I'm in a hospital
bed now - inital CT, ekg and bloodwork showed no alarming
info. White blood cells are a touch up, blood oxygen is 100.
My eyes track normally, but my left image is downhill to
the right. When I look up, the converge. Down, it's way off.
What can be done to treat this situation. I've been scheduled
for an MRI tomm. I'm in XXXXXXX .
Thank you and God Bless,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 28 minutes later

The symptom of sudden onset diplopia, dizziness and nausea is an indicator of stroke in the posterior circulation of brain. CT scan has a low resolution in that region of brain. In addition, CT scan done in the early few hours following the stroke may not pick up the abnormality. MRI is the next investigation, which has already been planned for you. I would like to do MRI in emergency and start treatment.

At your age it is unusual to have such stroke and additional workup like heart checkup, angiogram etc have to be done.

The treatment depends on the type of stroke. Antiplatelet drugs are used if it is ischemic stroke. Other modes of treatments are used if it is bleed in the brain.

Hope that answers your query. If there are more queries, I will be happy to answer.

Good luck.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E