Stopped contraceptive pills. Why am I still pregnant? Why am I tired and bloated? Due to low calcium?

Posted on Mon, 9 Jul 2012 in Infertility Problem
Question: hi i have 2 kids already was on the contraceptive pill cilest, 3 years since i stopped taking the pill but i am still not getting pregnant i feel tired bloated all the time and periods are normal.After intercourse i run stright to the bathroom could that be the reason and i am also low in vitamin d and calcuim could taht contribute.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

I understand your concern. I shall try to provide you with some useful and helpful information pertaining to your query.

Contraceptive pills that were stopped 3 years back have no role in infertility now. After having read through the details provided, I feel the possible causes of your secondary infertility are,

1. Going to bathroom immediately and washing local parts after intercourse. This can affect fertility chances; as spermatozoa need some time to travel the genital tract and reach the ovum. So try to lie down at least for 30 min after intercourse.
2. implantation. In addition calcium along with vitamin D is responsible for production of oocyte formation, follicular development and estrogen production. So supplementing calcium along with Vitamin D will improve chances of fertility.
3. Try to find out the reason for your tiredness as general health is having a lot of influence on fertility. Thyroid hormone abnormalities or diabetes needs to be ruled out.

Accordingly, my suggestions to you are:
1. Try to plan intercourse on 13 to 15 days of your menstrual cycle if your cycle is regular. There are more chances for fertilization on these days.
2. Consult local gynecologist for a thorough evaluation. General check-up and investigations like hemogram, blood sugars, thyroid function test, ultrasound and so on are entailed.
3. Continue calcium and vitamin D supplementation as recommended by your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please do not forget to close this discussion and rate it.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN