Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
172 Doctors are Online

Stiffness due to gout, have eliminated meat and fish, reduced alcohol, taking vitamin C. Am I doing the right things?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10322 Questions
I have improved my gout problem by eliminating a lot of meat and fish, reducing alcohol to less than a few glasses of wine each week, taking vitamin c, drinking coffee and generally eating fruit and vegetables. I still get a bit stiff in the mornings but on the whole, I have not encountered many symptoms. I am 63 years of age, in good health generally. Am I doing the right things?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Gout as you would know is a condition where there is an increased uric acid levels in the blood; the uric acid crystals start depositing in the joint capsules causing the joint inflammation. This happens due to decreased excretion of urates by kidney, dietary changes or due to genetic predisposition.
It is definitely associated with consumption of alcohol, seafood and meat.

As far as dietary modification is concerned, you are doing the right thing by including the desired changes in your diet. Most of the symptoms can be controlled with strictly adhering to your diet.

In addition to these, I also suggest you to drink plenty of water daily to help the kidneys clear the uric acid.

The mild stiffness you have in the morning can be taken care of by hot fomentation and applying a local analgesic gel to the affected area. If they still persist and trouble you, you may seek medical help. Good anti-inflammatory analgesics and other specific medications which increase the uric acid excretion from the kidneys can be prescribed to you. That should take care of your issues

Hope I have provided you with useful recommendations. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor