Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Stabbing pain under ear. Menopausal, having short term forgetfulness. Diagnosed with adhesive capsulitis in shoulder. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 877 Questions
Hello my name is barb, I'm 55 and female! My concern is a sharp intermittent stabbing pin under my left ear it generally doesn't last long but is happening more frequently this last couple of days! It started around twelve or so months ago! My last cholesterol reading a few months ago was 4.2 I'm not diabetic. I am menopausal and take livial also Effexor 37.5 daily. I've been having a bit of short term forgetfulness but otherwise work effectively and efficiently. Three years ago I was diagnosed with adhesive capsulitis in the right shoulder then I got a tear in the supraspinatus tendon in the left shoulder and with both shoulders not functioning well some referred back of neck pain! I'm a registered nurse and have continued to work my range of movement has improved but still very tender in joints and radiating down biceps! It wakes me at night and I have numbness from shoulder down to finger I massage and move the arm and hand and the feeling returns. I'm a little overweight but not grossly! Any ideas! Thanks barb.
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 5 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing Health care magic for your query.
I have gone through the details mentioned in your query and I am suspecting chronic mastoiditis.

Mastoiditis is bacterial infection of the mastoid bone which is situated behind the ear. This bone has cells which help in drainage of middle ear.

So any infection which has occurred in the middle ear and not treated properly spreads to the mastoid bone causing mastoiditis.

Symptoms include fever, pain below the ear and drainage from the ear.

You may have to undergo an Xray and culture of drainage of ear for confirmation of the diagnosis.

I suggest a visit to an ENT doctor for detailed examination and therapy.

Over the counter pain killers will help reduce the pain. Appropriate antibiotics can be taken after confirmation of diagnosis.

Let the ENT doctor decide the antibiotic prescription based on the culture report.


Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor