Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
190 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Skin tag on labia, red and itchy lump near it. Could it be infected?

Answered by
Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi


Practicing since :1997

Answered : 1037 Questions

Posted on Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: I have a gynecological problem and I live on the mornington Peninsula - and therefore no where that I can walk into - just need a little re-assurance!
I have a small skin tag on my labia, and next to it, a kind of lump that is larger and slightly red. A little itchy before my period. I was wondering if it could be another tag that is infected. It is slightly red in colour. Never had any problems previously and the same partner for over 2 years.
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 47 minutes later
Thanks for consulting us.
Most commonly these small lumps are due to infected hair follicles & respond well to broad spectrum antibiotic ointments.
If you don't have any assess to Gynecologist try using any OTC preparation. Hopefully this will solve your problem otherwise you should arrange for a Gynecologist visit to find out what exactly is this swelling & to get proper treatment.
Wish you good health.
Best Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on