Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Should subutex be used to overcome long-term heroin addiction?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 1525 Questions
Family member age 26, male, heroin add. for 3? years. Has been to 2 rehabs. Given subutex there to detox and weaned from it for duration of rehab. Rehabed twice. Relapsed twice. He know of others in his situation using subutext under Dr.'s supervision who are "clean", have been reemployed, feel healthy, etc. He knows he would eventually be weaned from the subutext. Feels this is the only way he can deal with the urges to relapse, again. Wants to get and stay clean of heron, but feels he can not do it alone. Wants to go to a sub doctor (Discovery House), receive treatment both medically and counseling. Please, would you recommend he go the subutext route under physician care. He absolutely feels this is the solution for him at this time. Need your advice, please.
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: discovery House is a better option Detailed Answer: hello, Sorry to learn that one of your family member is a heroin addict. Management of addiction is often associated with very very frequent relapses but that doesn't necessarily is a commentary on the motivation to leave drugs. Both routes have advantages and disadvantages. Discovery house is a better choice since it is a complete package. They teach you to live a life without drugs. You have lesser and lesser environmental cues to trigger an impulsive craving and drug seeking behavior. Both medical treatment and counseling are equally important. Subutext route has problem of frequent exposure to environmental clues for relapse plus if he wishes to try discovery house, it is all the better . Any more query is welcome DR SAATIISH JHUNTRRAA
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor