Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Should i be concerned if finger is numb after being cut from knife?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 1337 Questions
Hello, I cut/stabbed the palm of my hand with a steak knife (trying to core out an avocado). The entry wound is 1/2 inch or less, and it is no longer bleeding. I have movement in all fingers. The wound is between the thumb and the pointer finger 1 1/2 inches below the pointer finger on the palm. What is concerning is that I have no feeling in the pointer finger 360 degrees top to bottom, actually down into the palm from the pointer finger. Should I go to the ER? Should I make an appointment with a specialist? Should I wait? Thank you for your quick response, XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: I suggest you go to the ER for examination. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. I think it is most likely that you have a nerve injury that has affected your sensory nerves to your first finger. If this is the case then it is possible that this will not recover. From your description, the wound appears to be quite deep. I suggest you go to the ER to have the wound examined. Although you say you have full movement in your fingers it would be best to have a doctor look at your hand. Any signs of infection or need for surgery can be identified. This would be the safest course of action. I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate too contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Should i be concerned if finger is numb after being cut from knife? 25 minutes later
What would they do at the ER? Would I be better off scheduling with an orthopedic surgeon/ hand surgeon, and skipping the ER (waiting for no real answers or treatment)?
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Ideally, yes, a hand specialist. Detailed Answer: Hi, It depends how long you would have to wait to see a hand specialist. I would suggest you need to see someone in the next 24 hours and be alert to signs of infection developing. A hand specialist would be preferable but if this involves a significant wait then there is likely to be expertise in the ER. My thought is that there may be nothing that can be done to reverse the nerve damage. However, I cannot be sure without the benefit of examining the wound. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor