Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Should I be worried about my blood pressure? I drink and smoke

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
thank you, my blood preassure is 140 over 106 should i be worried?
ive been drinking and smoking
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 44 minutes later
Thank you for posting your query.
For your age of 41 years, the upper value i.e. systolic blood pressure of 140 seems to be fine but what is of more concern here is the lower value i.e. diastolic blood pressure of 106. This diastolic blood pressure value of 106 is on the higher side. Drinking excessive amounts of alcohol and smoking does raise your blood pressure.
But a diagnosis of hypertension cannot be made using a single reading. Your blood pressure needs to be checked on 3 different occasions atleast a month apart. If it remains in this range, you may need anti-hypertensive therapy.

At present, try to relax and rest. It should stabilize if the increase in blood pressure was due to any stress.

I will be available for follow-up queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor