Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

146 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Severe redness in eye, no blurred vision or watery eyes. Could it be conjunctivitis?

Answered by
Dr. N. K. Misra


Practicing since :1977

Answered : 1222 Questions

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hi, my husband has one eye with severe redness on the white on the half closest to tear duct. He has not had discharge, nor contact with any foriegn object to his recollection. There is no blurring of vision, watery eye, or pain. He does have some itching. We have no small children, but he does work as a medical courier. Is this a case of conjunctivitis, and is it likely to resolve on its own or should he go to the MedExpress for eye drops?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 2 hours later
Thanks for sending your query to us.
This is episcleritis,a type of iflammation.This may resolve on its own,but may flare up and that is a chance you may not take.As it may turn bad.
This requires anti inflammatory eye drops which may be continued for few days.
Since this is not infection,rest of the family need not take precautions.
Do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Scleritis

doctor1 MD

I am 74 and female with one episode of anterior scleritis . my results of the lupus panel of ANA, IFA are negative but then I have another ANA, IFA screen with reflex to titer and pattern that says is positive with a homogeneous pattern and a high...

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor, Greetings... 1. My wife (F29) has one problem in Left eye as per first photo. Could you pleae advise gor this. 2. Right has a yellow spot ftom long time.. see second pic Please advise Regards

doctor1 MD

Hello, My manager has been complaining about his eye, and when I looked I found something I've never seen before. It looks painful. there is a white dot kind of resembling a white head on his eye, with red veins all around it. I'll put pictures...

doctor1 MD

Hi...I have pain and irritation in my right eye on the caruncula. I have also notices what looks like a brown lesion and perhaps a blister as well. I have several autoimmune illnesses and i worry about scleritis etc. There is no discharge, just a little dryness. What could this be?

doctor1 MD

i have scleritis my head is hurting bad..we havent got a clue what the underlying condition is but the steriod pills seem to work better then the drops..but when it seemed like it was almost going away the doc told me to lower the pills and increase the drop..i was down to one drop in eye and two pills a my eye is inflamed again..should the doc increase pills and lower drops since its having a worse effect..i swear sometimes my head feels like its going to explode..even asked doc to prescribe me anti biotics because it seemed like i got a nasel infection but headaches havent went away and they feel like nasel but they last as long as migrane

doctor1 MD

Yes, I am suffering from constantly red eyes. I have been treated by an allergist for borderline cat and dust mite allergies with many different steroid eye drops to no avail. I have also tried Eye Bright drops and pills without any real improvement. Should my ophthalmologist have taken a scraping of my eye at this point to determine if the redness really is due to allergies?

doctor1 MD

Yesterday It felt like i had something in my eye then hours later the inner side of my eye was painfull .My husband looked and he says it looks like a pimple under my lid not on the edge but furthar up . This morning my eye is very sore and a bit swollen. Last night I put genteal drops in it and today .They are just a moisturizer and I us it for my episcleritis flare ups in my right eye. what could this be and it came on quite suddenly . do you recommend polysporin eye drops or fucidin eye drops .