Severe redness in eye, no blurred vision or watery eyes. Could it be conjunctivitis?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hi, my husband has one eye with severe redness on the white on the half closest to tear duct. He has not had discharge, nor contact with any foriegn object to his recollection. There is no blurring of vision, watery eye, or pain. He does have some itching. We have no small children, but he does work as a medical courier. Is this a case of conjunctivitis, and is it likely to resolve on its own or should he go to the MedExpress for eye drops?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
This is episcleritis,a type of iflammation.This may resolve on its own,but may flare up and that is a chance you may not take.As it may turn bad.
This requires anti inflammatory eye drops which may be continued for few days.
Since this is not infection,rest of the family need not take precautions.
Do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.