Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Raised troponin levels. How can I reduce this figure? Need gall stones removed

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions
Have raised Troponin levels, measured at 100. How can I reduce this figure. Had MI in April 2012 and again in July. My Triponin-T levels have been 80 85 and 94 with a recent blood test revealing 100. Cardiologist suggests nothing major going on in heart, but I had a bad gallstones incident in mid XXXXXXX and that needs to be removed but I believe surgery can be fatal with Troponin high.
Posted Tue, 11 Sep 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Do you history of cheat pain/ squeezing sensation in chest/ sweating?
Tropinin I & T are measured in the blood to differentiate between unstable angina and myocardial infarction (heart attack) in patients with chest pain or acute coronary syndrome.
Cardiac troponins are a marker of all heart muscle damage, not just myocardial infarction.
Other conditions in which Troponin I & T level may rise are Severe tachycardia (for example due to supraventricular tachycardia), heart failure,several forms of cardiomyopathy, such as dilated cardiomyopathy, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy or (left) ventricular hypertrophy, peripartum cardiomyopathy, Takotsubo cardiomyopathy or infiltrative disorders such as cardiac amyloidosis.
There are multiple non-cardiac conditions in which Troponin level may increase.
Troponins are increased in around 40% of patients with critical illnesses such as sepsis.
Some patients with dissection of the ascending aorta have elevated troponins.
In both primary pulmonary hypertension, pulmonary embolism and acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), right ventricular strain with increased wall tension and ischemia.
Patients with end-stage renal disease can have chronically elevated troponin T levels.
Strenuous endurance exercise such as marathons or triathlons can lead to increased troponin levels in up to one third of subjects.
So you should consult with physician and cardiologist. You should go for 2 D echo study of heart, coronary angiography and thallium stress test for clarification of heart status.
You should also go for chest x ray/ renal function test also.
Put your query if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor