Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Pus on gums in child, pus is spreading from one teeth to other, taken antibiotics

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 436 Questions
my 17 months old baby has pus on his gums since last 5 days .. doctor gave some anibiotics but the pus is shifting from one tooth to other.. he has 4 teeth ..
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later
Thanks for the query.

Your infant has pus in his tooth which is spreading to other teeth.

This is a common dental condition that is extremely painful. If it accumulates in a small area and there is no place for the pus to drain, an abscess is formed.

If the infection spreads from the oral cavity and causes swelling in the face and lower jaw, the swollen area can rupture and the pus will drain out of the mouth.

If left untreated, a tooth abscess can cause serious health complications such as tooth loss, sepsis, infection to the jaw bone and facial soft tissue and mediastinitis. Infection may also spread to other areas of the body and result in pneumonia.

I would advise the following:
•     You can use Himalaya Dental cream or Xylitol based paste for the child. This will prevent further infection from spreading.
•     The child needs to be examined and treated by a dentist. You would also need to continue the antibiotics.
•     Reduce any sweet foods
•     Gargles after every feed
•     Brush his teeth twice a day.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor