Pregnant. Have clot in jugular with pain in calf. Should I consult a doctor?

Dr. Aparna Amritsagar

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am 8 weeks pregnant and have a clot in my left jugular. I am on fragmin. Yesterday I noticed pain in my left calf. It is still here this morning and is worse on standing. I tried stretching my muscle, but that doesn't do anything. There is no swelling. Should I go to the ER or wait and call the doctor tomorrow?
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 34 minutes later

Thanks for writing your query to us.

I would advise you to immediately go to ER & get yourself evaluated. Doppler studies can help to diagnose the condition.

Leg cramps may be harmless, but it is crucial to differentiate this pain from the pain of thrombophlebitis, which is an inflammation of the XXXXXXX veins of the legs, especially when you are pregnant & having a history of clot in left jugular. Thrombophlebitis is an emergency because XXXXXXX leg veins so inflamed can develop blood clots that can fling off toward your lungs and endanger your life suddenly.

Leg cramps are common symptoms of pregnancy. They range anywhere from a fleeting muscular pulling all the way to hopping around in agony. There are many factors which may contribute to the increased tendency toward leg cramps in pregnancy. Among them are:
• Pressure of the baby's head on the nerves of the pelvis can fire off the leg muscles.
• Alterations in calcium and magnesium, not only because of the altered physiology of pregnancy but also because of alterations in circulation due to swelling and changes in blood volume.
• Increased exertion on muscles due to changes in weight and center of gravity in pregnancy.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further question I will be happy to help you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan