Pregnant. Feeling pain in jaw and neck. What could be causing this?

Dr. Ganesh Sanap

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: I am 28 years old and 24 weeks pregnant. For the last week every now and then I will have what feels like a spasm short pain in left side of jaw or neck. It happens for a couple seconds then goes away. What could this be?
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 58 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Intermittent pain in jaw region and neck region may be due two reasons. It may be due to trigeminal neuralgia or ear infection radiating to jaw.

Trigeminal neuralgia is a condition in which there is radiating or shooting pain along distribution of trigeminal nerve. It supplies lower face and upper neck. Sometimes middle ear infection or mastoid air cells infection may radiate to jaw.

It is unlikely to be associated with pregnancy or increased blood pressure. The pain is a coincidental symptom and hence I suggest consulting your nearest physician for evaluation. Medication can be started on basis of clinical scenario.

Hope I have answered your query. Any further doubts are welcome.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ganesh Sanap 2 hours later
What would cause it if it were trigeminal neuralgia? While running under my ear I noticed that there is a really sore spot where my jaw meets.
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 10 minutes later

Welcome back...

Trigeminal neuralgia is caused by unknown factors. External stimulating factors like cold and heat can trigger the symptoms.

Presence of sore spot near the ear suggests possibility of an infective pathology. In such case, trigeminal neuralgia may be less likely. As pregnancy reduces body resistance to fight against any infection, I would recommend consulting your healthcare provider early to rule out infections. Use of anti-inflammatory drugs and antibiotic is entailed.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any clarifications.